Proposed Standard Rail Connection Agreement
On 30 June 2011, Aurizon Network submitted its proposed standard rail connection agreement (SRCA) to the Authority in accordance with clause 8.4(a) of its approved 2010 access undertaking.
The Authority has considered Aurizon Network's proposal in accordance with the requirements of the access undertaking.
On 14 December 2012, the Authority released a final decision not to approve Aurizon Network's proposal, and provided Aurizon Network with a written notice requiring it to amend its SRCA in the way set out in the detailed drafting included in the decision and to resubmit the amended SRCA by 8 February 2013.
On 14 February 2013, Aurizon Network resubmitted an amended SRCA to the Authority.
On 21 March 2013, the Authority decided to not approve Aurizon Network's resubmitted proposal. The 2010 approved access undertaking provides that the Authority may only approve a resubmitted SRCA if, among other things, it is satisfied that the proposal is in accordance with the written notice provided in December 2012 (clause 8.4(e)(i)). The resubmitted proposal did not comply with that written notice. The resubmitted proposal departed from the detailed drafting provided in the written notice – it was also not provided to the Authority within the required timeframe.
The Authority developed a proposed SRCA, in accordance with clause 8.4(d)(ii) of the 2010 access undertaking.
The Authority published its proposal and received four stakeholders' submissions on its proposed SRCA. Following stakeholders’ comments, the Authority has amended a minor typographical error in clause 18.4(c) of the SRCA, which now reads “where agreement has not
need been reached...”.
The Authority approved its proposed SRCA, which had regards to its previously proposed detailed drafting for the SRCA set out in the written notice provided in December 2012, the issues raised by Aurizon Network and stakeholders and other matters relevant to the content of the proposed SRCA.
The Authority provided Aurizon Network with written notice of the Authority’s decision to approve its proposal.
The SRCA applies from 24 April 2013. Accordingly, unless otherwise agreed, any future rail connection agreements entered into during the term of the 2010 access undertaking must be consistent with the terms of the SRCA. Aurizon Network and a private infrastructure owner may agree to terms and conditions that differ from the SRCA, but in the event that negotiations fail, the Authority will have regard to the SRCA in resolving a dispute.
Final Approval of SRCA
Submissions on the Authority's Proposed SRCA
Authority's Proposed SRCA
Submissions on the Issues Raised by Aurizon Network
Issues Raised by Aurizon Network
Submissions on the Draft Decision
- Anglo American Metallurgical Coal Pty Ltd (Dec 12) (PDF, 145KB)
- Anglo American Metallurgical Coal - Submission to the Queensland Competition Authority Rail Connection Agreement (Sept 12) (PDF, 185KB)
- Asciano - Submission to the Queensland Competition Authority in relation to its Draft Decision on QR Network's Proposed Standard Rail Connection Agreement (Sept 12) (PDF, 185KB)
- Bandanna Energy Ltd, & Cockatoo Coal Ltd - Submission to QCA, Standard Rail Connection Agreement (Sept 12) (PDF, 105KB)
- BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA) & BHP Billiton Mitsui (BMC) - Letter Re: QCA Draft Decision on the Standard Rail Connection Agreement (SRCA) (Sept 12) (PDF, 185KB)
- QRC - QRC submission to the QCA, Standard Rail Connection Agreement (Sept 12) (PDF, 185KB)
- QRC – Letter from QRC to QCA, Standard Connection Agreement (Nov 12) (PDF, 1MB)
- QR Network Pty Ltd - Standard Rail Connection Agreement: Response to Queensland Competition Authority Draft Decision (Sept 12) (PDF, 185KB)
- QR Network Pty Ltd - Resubmitted proposed SRCA as of September 2012 (Sept 12) (PDF, 185KB)
- QR Network Pty Ltd - Comparison between proposed SRCA of 30 June 2011 and resubmission of September 2012 (Sept 12) (PDF, 485KB)
- QR Network Pty Ltd - Comparison between QCA-proposed SRCA of 27 June 2012 and resubmission of September 2012 (Sept 12) (PDF, 300KB)
- QR Network Pty Ltd - Standard Rail Connection Agreement - Supplementary Submission on QCA's Draft Decision (Nov 12) (PDF, 2.3MB)
- Vale Australia Pty Ltd - Letter re: QCA draft decision QR Network's Proposed Standard Rail Connection Agreement (Sept 12) (PDF, 185KB)