Review of Code Reporting Requirements
The Electricity Industry Code (Electricity Code) and Gas Industry Code (Gas Code) require retailers and distributors to periodically report a range of information to the Authority.
Following feedback from the Authority's Consumer Advisory Committee (the Committee), the Authority sought stakeholder views on the desirability of amending current reporting requirements under the Electricity and Gas Codes in a number of respects.
The Authority also canvassed views on the limitation (contained in clause 6.6(c) of the Electricity Code) on the ability of a retailer to request a special meter reading in order to give effect to an in situ transfer of a customer. This limitation meant that such customers were only able to be transferred to a new retailer at the time of their next scheduled meter reading.
The Authority released an Interim Consultation Notice and received 12 submissions in response.
The Authority released its Draft Decision on proposed amendments to the reporting requirements contained in clause 8.5 of the Electricity Industry Code and clause 6.5 of the Gas Industry Code in October 2009 and received 8 submissions in response.
The Authority's Final Decision was released in February 2010.
The Code amendments the Authority will make include:
- customer disconnection and complaints data to be reported quarterly, within one month of the end of each quarter,
- additional reporting obligations related to financial hardship programs and customer numbers;
- distributors to report quarterly disconnections data; and
- alignment of the reporting requirements of the Electricity and Gas Codes where practical.
The Authority will also remove the current restriction on a retailer requesting a special meter reading in order to affect an in situ customer transfer, subject to the retailer:
- obtaining explicit informed consent from the customer to both conduct the special meter reading and charge the customer for that special meter reading; or
- not charging the customer for the special meter reading.
The Code amendments required to implement these changes, to come into effect from 1 July 2010, are outlined in Appendix 1 of the Final Decision. The Final Decision can be downloaded below.
The amendments to the Electricity and Gas Industry Codes were approved by the Minister on 23 March 2010. The amendments were published in the Queensland Government Gazette on 16 April 2010
Interim Consultation Notice
- AGL (Sept 09) (PDF, 43KB)
- Aurora Energy (Sept 09) (PDF, 13KB)
- Australian Power & Gas (Sept 09) (PDF, 496KB)
- Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation (Sept 09) (PDF, 65KB)
- Energex (Sept 09) (PDF, 255KB)
- Energy Australian (Sept 09) (PDF, 156KB)
- Ergon Energy (Sept 09) (PDF, 189KB)
- Financial Counsellors' Association of Queensland (Sept 09) (PDF, 61KB)
- Origin Energy (Sept 09) (PDF, 75KB)
- Queensland Consumers Association (Sept 09) (PDF, 45KB)
- Queensland Council of Social Services (Sept 09) (PDF, 908KB)
- TRU Energy (Sept 09) (PDF, 34KB)